A proper skincare regimen is the key to achieving and maintaining smooth, glowing, beautiful skin.
Facials should be a part of your skincare routine, not just during special occasions. Professional treatments help remove buildup of makeup, dead skin cells and a number of other impurities from the environment that are trapped deep within your pores. They are a relaxing experience, but determining how often you need one depends on a number of factors.
Although not necessary, a professional skincare treatment is recommended about once a month. It takes the skin about that long to go through the full cycle of skin cell growth. Additionally, it helps remove dead skin cells to bring the new cells to the surface, resulting in glowing, clear skin.
Benefits of a facial
Facials not mandatory for you to achieve healthy skin. Determining your skin type and its issues will help you narrow down the type of treatment you’ll need. Benefits include:
- An expert skin analysis along with recommendations on how to best care for your skin
- Thoroughly cleansed skin
- Extraction of blackheads and whiteheads
- Exfoliation to smooth the skin and gently lighten any discoloration
- Massage to boost blood circulation for brighter skin
- Screening for abnormalities that could lead to or indicate skin cancer
With so many different skin types and needs, skincare experts have developed specific facial treatments to target those needs. Here are a few types of face treatments that target specific skin issues:
- Hydrating facials temporarily improve dehydrated skin with added moisture to restore the skin’s natural barrier.
- Clarifying treatments clear the pores and balance the production of sebum to prevent pore blockage, reduce inflammation and decrease the spread of bacteria that could lead to issues such as acne.
- Anti-aging facials involve nutrient-rich serums to help turn back the clock, diminish the look of fine lines and help slow down the aging process.
Factors to consider for frequency of facials
Facials are a good investment for your skin. Find a professional you can trust and consider the following factors to determine how often you should get one.
- Skin Type: Your skin type – normal, combination, dry or oily – can help determine how often you should seek professional help from an esthetician. Oily skin is typically prone to acne, blackheads and clogged pores. Therefore, you should consider getting facials more frequently than those with other skin types to get your pores cleaned and cleared out. Dry skin may need to come in more often during the cold season to rehydrate it. Normal, combination and dry skin will likely need to go in less frequently than oily skin.
- Goals: A proper skincare regimen is essential to achieving and maintaining good skin. Finding a good esthetician and using the right products for your skin. As the environment around you changes and affects your skin, she’ll be able to make recommendations based on your skin type, condition and goals.
- Age: The younger you are, the less frequently you’ll need to get facials because your skin is able to naturally generate new cell growth faster. However, it’s at this age that the main priority is to develop a proper skincare regimen and factor one in as you get older. As you age, skin cell growth slows down. So, your skin is not able to recover as well or quickly from issues such as acne, pigmentation or dryness.
- Budget: Your budget will likely affect how much you are able to spend on facials. Consider getting at least one facial every three months if you have a tight budget.
A good treatment can make you look and feel great. You feel relaxed and pampered, and whether it’s done once or routinely, they can have positive effects on the life of your skin.